This is the third in a series of six posts explaining the major eligibility requirements to receive housing assistance. The focus of this post is on income requirements.
Every housing grant and subsidy has income limits. Most housing subsidies will be looking for a number of demographics such as age, disability, or housing status and will also describe the income level allowed. For instance, the homeless preference for the Housing Choice Voucher moves those who are homeless to the top of the wait list, they also must have extremely low income or very low income.
Most housing programs and subsidies exist to serve people with extremely low income. Extremely low income includes households that are below 30% of the area median income for their family size. A total of 75% of all Housing Choice Vouchers must go to people and households who are extremely low income. The remaining 25% of the available vouchers may go to those who have low income. Those receiving Social Security Income meet the extremely low income threshold.
To see what the income limits are in your area, follow this link and click on the Income Limits link for the current year.
Other articles in this series: