Option 1: In-person Homebuyer Education workshops
We offer low-cost Homebuyer Education workshops where we cover a number of topics:
- Budgeting, saving for a home, and down payment assistance options
- Determining when you are ready to buy
- The loan process and how to avoid predatory lending
- Choosing the right home for you
- The home inspection process
- Homeowner responsibilities and home maintenance
- And more
Whether you are just starting to consider homeownership, or are well along in the process, our classes can help!
Workshops are ongoing and held weekly in our office in Troy (map). Free, secure parking is available at both locations. There is a non-refundable registration fee of $25 per attendee. Scholarships may be available for those with a demonstrated hardship and an inability to pay, please follow this link for more information. Registration closes at 3 p.m. on the day preceding each workshop and we reserve the right to cancel and reschedule the workshops due to low enrollment 48 hours prior to the class date
Option 2: Self-paced online Homebuyer Education course ($99)
We partner with eHome America to offer a $99 online Homebuyer Education course. This course is self-paced and can be completed from anywhere, as long as you have a computer and an internet connection. The course is available in English and Spanish.
Purchasing a home can be intimidating! Our online Homebuyer Education will help you prepare for this big step.
- You’ll learn about the homebuying process from start to finish:
- How to determine what you can afford to pay
- How to choose the right house, the right lender, the right mortgage
- Financial assistance program that may be available to you
Features and benefits of the eHome online course:
It’s convenient The full course is online. Learn on your own schedule. The course is designed to take 8 hours to complete.
It’s unbiased and consumer-oriented Developed by a HUD-certified nonprofit agency, and designed to look out for the homebuyer’s best interests.
It qualifies you The course satisfies homeownership education requirements by state and other governmental housing agencies.
It’s a great value The course is low-cost, and it can help you avoid mistakes and save you thousands of dollars. $99 per household