About our programs
We administer Permanent Supportive housing programs to help to eligible individuals and families in Oakland and Macomb counties.
Your program application will be processed for the county of which you area resident. Once your eligibility is confirmed (see below), we aim to help you move in to housing within 60 days. You may live in any rental unit as long as:
- the landlord is willing to work with the program and is in compliance with local and state rental rules
- the rent is within limit
- the unit passes a Housing Quality Standards inspection
Our programs provide monthly help with rent as well as services designed to help you maintain your housing.
Funding for our Permanent Supportive Housing programs comes from Continuum of Care Grants from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
Why permanent supportive housing?
- Available data reinforce evidence that permanent supportive housing is an effective approach for meeting the needs of people with disabilities and chronic health conditions who have experienced homelessness.
- Research indicates that this combination of long-term housing and wraparound services leads to improved residential stability and reduction in psychiatric symptoms.
- Studies have also found that supportive housing is associated with significant reductions in costs for emergency room visits, hospitalizations, shelters, sobering centers, jails, and other public services used by people experiencing homelessness.
Read about Karen’s story, to see how permanent supportive housing can change lives.