Oakland County Eviction Diversion Program
UPDATE: We will get to you! We are still experiencing a high volume of calls for Eviction Diversion assistance. Our highly trained team of Housing Specialists are currently returning hundreds of calls in the order they are received, and we appreciate your patience in awaiting a call back. If you have left a voicemail, you will receive a call back.
What is needed:
- Call us at 248-269-1335 or (toll-free) 1-866-282-3119 and a housing specialist will call you back soon for your intake screening (if you have not called and left a message already)
- Collect all necessary documents (listed below) that are needed
- Ask your Landlord to fill out the Owner application
- Contact Lakeshore Legal Aid – Oakland county Hotline- 866-248-8715, they are available for free tenant representation and assistance, or you can apply online at michiganlegalhelp.org.
Community Housing Network’s entire building and offices are currently closed.
*NEW* CHN has installed two document drop boxes outside of the OCHN building in Troy. One is located at the employee entrance and one is located at the main entrance. As our building and lobby are closed, these are available for Tenants or Landlords to drop off documents for the Eviction Diversion Program that are unable to mail. The drop box is locked at all times and will be checked every weekday and on the weekend by CHN staff. Documents will be processed just like mail.
If you are returning physical hard copies (no originals, please) of these documents please mail them to:
Eviction Diversion Program
Community Housing Network, Inc.
5505 Corporate Drive, Ste. 300
Troy, MI 48098
Better yet, save the stamps and time and email documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or fax documents to: 248-824-7370
The documentation needed is as follows:
- Tenant Application and CHN Release Form Information including:
- Copy of Notice to Quit, Court Ordered Summons, Complaint or Judgment, Demand for Possession.
- Copy of State ID for tenant applicant. Include proof of residency if address does not match the unit (such as a utility bill in the primary tenant’s name).
- Most current copy of lease agreement in tenant’s name (if a written lease was completed), on letterhead (showing landlord’s contact information).
- Provide all proof of earned and unearned income for household members that live at the property and that are over the age of 18 for at least the last four weeks.
- Owner-Landlord Application and W-9 Form
- Copy of rental payment history (if rental payment history section is not filled out on Landlord Application). Please exclude utility/trash payments and late (or other) fees.
Please send documentation listed above to CHN at this email address: email@example.com.
Or, you can fax the information/documents to us at 248-824-7370.
Unfortunately, our building is currently closed. Please do not attempt to hand deliver documents to us. Mailing address and other information needed when returning documents are below.
Important to note: In addition to completing this paperwork in advance, it is highly suggested to also reach out to Lakeshore Legal Aid regarding legal assistance by calling the Lakeshore Legal Aid Hotline at 866-248-8715 or you can apply online at www.michiganlegalhelp.org.
A designated attorney will work with you to complete a Settlement Agreement between you and your landlord, which is needed for payment to be processed.
This is the process even if you have not received a court summons.
The signed Settlement Agreement will need to be sent back to us at Community Housing Network (Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to: 248-824-7370) for confirmation before a payment can be sent to your landlord. Checks will be sent to landlords via USPS.
The Eviction Diversion Program (EDP) is designed to keep Michigan residents who fell behind on their rent during COVID-19 in their rental housing. The program utilizes a special process which may involve the district court to get fast rental assistance for renters who have been impacted. By participating in this program, landlords can receive up to 90% of a tenant’s back rent paid in a lump sum and are required to forgive late fees. Additional information and specific guidelines are provided here: Eviction Diversion Program MSHDA
If you live in Oakland County and fell behind on your rent, please contact Community Housing Network’s Housing Resource Center (HRC) to discuss EDP assistance. Leave a message at 248-269-1335 or (toll-free) 1-866-282-3119 and a housing specialist will call you back soon for your intake screening. A housing specialist will review EDP with you and collect the necessary documentation. Those interested in participating in this program must also contact Lakeshore Legal Aid to be connected with legal assistance. Call the Lakeshore Legal Aid Hotline at 866-248-8715.
If you live outside of Oakland County, please contact your local Housing Assessment and Resource Agency (HARA) to discuss eviction diversion as indicated on this list: Michigan HARA Contact List